To safeguard the health of low-income women, infants and children up
to age 5 who are at nutrition risk.
Provide nutritious foods to supplement diets, provide information on healthy
eating and referrals to health care
"WIC is an equal opportunity provider"
The WIC target population is low-income, nutritionally at risk:
- Pregnant women (through pregnancy and up to 6 weeks after birth or pregnancy ends)
- Breastfeeding women (up to infant's 1st birthday)
- Non-breastfeeding postpartum women (up to 6 months after the birth of a child or pregnancy ends)
- Infants (up to 1st birthday)
- Children (up to their 5th birthday)
The following benefits are provided to WIC participants
- Nutrition education and counseling at WIC clinics
- Screenings and referrals to other health, welfare and social services