The Lincoln County Detention Center holds inmates that have been found guilty and sentenced to county jail time (less than one year). The facility also holds people who have been accused of a crime, and who are awaiting trial, but cannot get out on bail. We hold inmates for all the local agencies. The facility can hold a total of 29 adult male and female persons. Portable beds nicknamed ‘boats’ are used in overpopulation situations to ensure sanitary conditions for sleeping and eating. All the detention officers are trained and certified as such by Montana Public Safety Officer Standards & Training (POST). They are qualified to perform CPR and basic first aid. Our detention facility is licensed by the Montana Department of Corrections.
*Detention Officers are not allowed to assist with legal or medical matters. This includes delivering paperwork or having an inmate sign a paper for you. You may have this done be mailing the documents, or by having an attorney take care of it.
Detention Center Basics
- Inmates have access to outgoing telephone services provided by Securus Technologies. For customer questions about billing and access, please call 1-800-844-6591, 24 hours a day.
- Inmates are fed three times per day utilizing the services of a certified food services vendor.
- Inmates have daily access to a recreation room.
- The facility is kept very clean and sanitary at all times. The inmates are provided with cleaning gear daily to clean their individual cell and day use areas.
- Inmates always have access to emergency and non-emergency medical care.
- Inmates have access to commissary twice per week, which includes food, stationary, and hygiene items.
- Visitation will take place Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 9:00am-8:00pm.
- Visits will need to be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. Please call 406-293-4115 ext.2.
- A valid picture ID is required from all adult visitors.
- Each inmate has a 20-minute visit per week.
- Victims, witnesses, or anyone else involved in an inmates’ case will not be allowed to visit.
- Visitors who are under the influence, disrespectful, or unruly will be turned away and may be banned from further visits.
- Visitors who are currently on probation or parole, detention staff must have prior authorization from probation/parole officer for visit to be approved.
- These guidelines are subject to change at any time.
Mail & Commissary
- Funds can be mailed to 512 California Ave, Libby, MT 59923.
- Inmate’s name and the senders name and address must be on envelope.
- We allow cash or money order only.
- We do not accept funds through the lobby.
- Mail received with any of the following will be returned to sender:
- Blank Envelopes
- Extra paper of any kind
- Anything printed off the internet
- Newspaper clippings
- Cards/Post cards
- Any other alteration
- Inmates are allowed new, soft bound books, sent directly from establishment (example Amazon.com)
- Books must be appropriate in nature.
- Employment prints are available upon appointment only. Please call 406-293-4115 ext.2 to make your appointment.
- Masks must be worn.
- Please bring ten dollars cash, no change can be given.
Rules on Transferring Illegal Articles and Unauthorized Communication According to 45-7-307, Montana Code Annotated:
A person commits the offense of transferring illegal articles if the person knowingly or purposely transfers any illegal article or weapon to a person subject to official detention or is transferred any illegal article or weapon by a person subject to official detention. A person commits the offense of unauthorized communication if the person knowingly or purposely communicates with a person subject to official detention without the consent of the person in charge of the official detention.